Simple Book Structures: Online Workshop with Willa Goettling
SIMPLE BOOK STRUCTURES
with Willa Goettling
A one-day online seminar held over Zoom.
7pm to 9pm
Thursday, October 15
Participants will learn three basic & versatile book structures: pamphlet stitch, dos-à-dos, and a fold-out 8-page structure. This class is recommended for people who are new to bookmaking. In addition to learning 3 simple book structures, the workshop will cover useful tools & resources for starting a bookmaking practice. Participants are encouraged to follow demonstrations in real time. Necessary materials to create all three books include:
- 16 sheets of 8.5 x 11” text-weight paper (such as standard copy paper)
- 2 sheet of 8.5 x 11” cover-weight paper (such as card stock)
- Thread (preferably waxed linen thread, but any will be okay for this class)
- An awl
- Sewing needle or bookbinder’s needle
Suggested, but optional materials:
- Bone folder
- Self-healing mat
- Utility knife w/ snap-off blade or x-acto
* Limited to 20 participants, on a first-come, first-served basis.
Willa Goettling is an artist and educator whose work investigates corporeality and ecology. Goettling received her MFA in Interdisciplinary Book & Paper from Columbia College Chicago (2019) and BA in Medical Anthropology & Global Health from the University of Washington (2016). While at Columbia, she worked as a Print Production Fellow for the Journal of Artists' Books, and received an Albert P. Weisman Award for her MFA thesis. She has received scholarships to study book and paper at Haystack Mountain School of Crafts (2019) and Wells Book Arts Summer Institute (2017). She’s currently the Education Coordinator at Dieu Donné Paper Mill and a temporary In-house Printer for the Center for Artistic Activism.